At the heart of ‘Deliverance’ is a “Let’s talk about Henry” situation…when do you give up on your own kid? When he impregnates his mom with the Demon of the Apocalypse? For me, that seems like a deal breaker.
Let’s bitch it out…
That’s right, the magical evil spider that Henry (John Noble) created last week and sent down Katrina’s (Katia Winter) throat created a demonic pregnancy. (Side note: that is a sentence I never thought I would have to write).
Katrina wakes up (after a great sexy times dream with Crane – thanks writers!), and knows something unnatural is going on. Henry arrives on scene to kidnap her and Abraham (Neil Jackson) stops him, giving her time to escape. Good man, Abraham. Sleepy Hollow, what are you doing to me?! Why am I rooting for the Headless Horseman? Serious scientific question: if Katrina ever kissed him, would she just be kissing air? The head is only an illusion right? Could she touch his face? But I digress…
The police discover “some redhead in full colonial get-up” at the hospital so obviously = Crane (Tom Mison) and Abbie (Nicole Beharie) hustle over there to rescue Katrina and bring her back to the Archives. The problem is figuring out what’s wrong with her. Katrina describes a symbol that the men trying to kidnap her were carrying and Crane tells us (as he always does) that it is the symbol of The Hellfire Club, the British society of scientists. Ben Franklin (Timothy Busfield) infiltrated their ranks and recorded information about a woman infected with symptoms similar to Katrina. Those symptoms just happen to suggest that she has been impregnated with, well, demon spawn.
The Hellfire Club tracks down our team at the Archives, which forces them to escape through the ol’ tunnels (oh, how I missed you Tunnel Set!). Later, Abbie displays her best WTF face when Crane and Katrina confirm that neither of them have lost faith in Henry. Ichabod goes to Henry to plead with him to spare Katrina (which also gives Orlando Jones’ Irving his 5 seconds of screen time). Unfortunately, Henry does not give up – in fact he doubles down on Moloch. However, thanks to Ben Franklin and some dial-up internet (doesn’t Abbie have a smartphone?), they discover how to save Katrina. This involves an ancient tablet and the aurora borealis, obviously.
So where do we stand now? Katrina safe and with our dynamic duo (I’ll leave it up to you to decide if you’re happy about that), Crane is still not ready to give up on Henry, Moloch a little too close to arriving on earth for comfort, and Abraham is presumably on his way to retrieve Katrina.
- Trust between Katrina and Crane further degrades when he finds out she never mentioned she can see HH’s head (and subsequently have long talks in the cabin) thanks to an enchantment. At last count, we have her not telling him about their son, not telling him about Mary’s fall off a cliff, and now this. That is not a healthy relationship!
- Kudos to Sleepy Hollow for the amazing Mid-Term voting day tie-in. For us Americans, go out and vote! Crane fought for our right to do so (well, at least for the white males out there). Don’t be one of those people that only vote for “American Idolatry.”
- How is it that this show literally featured a big blue monster last week but I find the Hellfire Club the cheesiest antagonist we’ve seen by far? Where did they get the set for that underground lair? It looks repurposed from Buffy during the regrettable S4 Initiative story line.
- The way Nicole Beharie looks in her Fight Crime Pants makes me want to go to the gym more. I mean, I haven’t actually gone. But I’m thinking about it…
- Crane: “I must internet, immediately”
- Abbie (when Crane is trying to crack the Hellfire Club’s safe code): “They’re a freaking evil club, try 666.” Crane (after it works): “What a lack of imagination”
What did you think? Was anyone secretly (or not so secretly) hoping we’d lose Katrina in a demon spawn accident tonight? Sound off below!
Sleepy Hollow airs Mondays at 9pm EST on FOX. Here’s your teaser for next week.