Well, this is the moment I have been waiting for, and it is just as good as I had hoped it would be.
Let’s bitch it out…
Okay. Just let me catch my breath for a minute here. That kiss in the elevator is everything I have been waiting for all season. I will admit that I was surprised when Deacon (Charles Esten) basically jumps Rayna (Connie Britton) after giving her the cold shoulder and ignoring her since joining the tour, but none of that matters when his lips meet hers. And you know what? I don’t even care that she has children and a husband at home (we will get to that cheating scumbag in a minute, don’t worry), all I care about is not wanting this to stop. Now that we have broken through the physical threshold, the sky is the limit for where this relationship can go. There are years and years of sexual frustration between these two that I cannot WAIT to see come to fruition. And I know I’m not alone.
As I’m sure everyone else did, I thought the knock on the door was going to be Deacon and I could watch this great love story get kicked up a notch. However, I get to stare in to the face of Rayna’s cheating, lying scumbag husband instead of Deacon’s beautiful scruff. Now, those who are paying attention are going to wonder how I could be so angry at Teddy (Eric Close) for cheating on Rayna when she is literally on the verge of doing the same thing – had he not interrupted her. And here is my defence : It’s Rayna and Deacon! The rules don’t apply. Okay. Perhaps that’s a little flimsy. How about it’s just because Teddy had been lying for years and is all around not that great a guy? Either way, the fact remains that Teddy jumps in to bed with Peggy (Kimberly Williams-Paisley) after one little compliment and a bit of sexual tension. Rayna and Deacon have been fighting this off for YEARS! Therefore, I feel completely justified in supporting her philandering but not her scumbag husband’s.
But on that note, while my faith in Teddy had been building over the past few weeks, it is still so thin that I have to wonder if he’s there to pretend he wants to work on their marriage. So I breathe a big sigh of relief when he asks for a divorce. Thank you Teddy. Let’s just put this marriage out of its misery so that she can be with Deacon already.
While all this elevator ignoring/making out is going on, Deacon still has time to dole out life-changing advice to his young protege Juliette (Hayden Panettiere). I find it a bit hard to follow that she’s depressed about a few haters tweeting about her song, but then she doesn’t actually click around to find the link and see if anyone liked the song. She’s a super star – she’s never had to deal with a few haters before? She’s never googled herself before to find good stories? Saved by the awkward assistant.
- To make me doubly happy this evening, we are one step closer to a Scarlett (Clare Bowen) and Gunnar (Sam Palladio) hot kiss as well. How she didn’t plant one on him while cleaning up his war wounds is beyond me.
- The show comes full circle with Rayna now wanting to sign Scarlett and Gunnar to her new label. Back at the beginning of the season, I wondered what the significance was of Watty (JD Souther) playing the duo’s song for Rayna and now we finally find out. I really appreciate when small details like that are tied up weeks later because it strengthens my resolve that all the details I notice may actually matter one day.
- I especially enjoy how Juliette’s “serious” look for her new song is just that she is actually wearing clothes and her hair isn’t curly. Who knew that’s all it takes to be a serious musician.
- There are no words for how happy I am to see Avery (Jonathan Jackson) get his ass kicked, and to have Gunnar be the one doing the kicking.
- Connie Britton looks absolutely amazing for a 45 year old woman. No, scratch that. She looks amazing for a woman in general, let alone one who could be considered middle aged. I wish I looked half as good as that now, let alone in 15 years!
So what did you think of tonight’s episode? Is that kiss everything you wanted it to be? I can’t be the only one who is over the moon about this, am I?! Do you think Rayna was going to sleep with Deacon when she texted him to come to her room? Sound off below!
Nashville airs on Wednesday nights at 10pm EST on ABC.