Modern Family delivers its funniest episode of the season. So how does the episode break down according to pros and cons?
Let’s bitch it out…
- CON – Jay (Ed O’Neill) calling Manny (Rico Rodriguez) names. Why is he suddenly an asshole?
- CON – Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) saying “chew on that” with his eyes and his swivel (because all gays do. Ugh, the gay humour on this show is soooo cliché)
- CON – Everything about Cam (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitch bickering over marrying Lily (Aubrey Anderson-Emmons). Whether or not this is a real thing with little girls, it’s gross and icky
- CON – Hayley’s (Sarah Hyland) new BF, Kenny (Jason Mantzoukas), is gross, old and ponytailed (how shocking), but…
- PRO – …he randomly brings Phil (Ty Burrell) and Claire (Julie Bowen) jeans (even though he’s a jean salesman, that’s so bizarre, it works)
- PRO – Claire (questioning Phil’s assertion that older men like younger women): “Really…Hermione Granger?” Ha ha – there need to be way more Harry Potter jokes on this show
- CON – Jay and Gloria waited until the last minute to get the cake and there’s a huge line (contrived sitcom plot alert!)…
- PRO – …so they steal one from a pregnant lady?! That’s terrible and kinda awesome
- CON – As Lily crashes her car, Cam tells Mitch “We always knew there was a possibility that she would be a terrible driver” Cause, you know, racism – ha ha har
- CON – Gloria tries – and fails – to use her sex appeal to get out of the parking garage without the ticket (because she’s forgotten she’s pregnant again?)…
- PRO…so they drive through the barrier?! “Let’s drive through something else!” she cackles. What is going on with these two?!
- MEH – Cam won’t just come out and say what’s bothering him about Lily…and I’m bored
- PRO – Phil (when Claire tells him to ignore Kenny so Hayley will get bored and dump him): “I’m so conflicted. What you’re saying makes sense up here.” Taps head. “But it’s not what I want to do here.” Taps chest. “And I just feel so damn comfortable down here.” Pats his new jeans. Classic Phil Dunphy
- MEH – Manny gets his first kiss and then gets embarrassed when everyone sees it. Umm…I don’t care
- PRO – Phil compulsively typewriter-eating his corn on the cob while staring at Hayley macking on Kenny = funny
- CON – Phil grabbing hedge clippers and nearly cutting off Kenny’s ponytail = obvious
- PRO – Mitch (when Cam worries about forgetting to call Lily): “You’re forgetting that she’s five and not a character on Dynasty” – See that’s a fun “gag for the gays” that doesn’t feel like a condescending slap in the face
- CON – Of course Cam would dump Lily in the pool
- PRO – Gloria is finally having her baby. THANK GOD…
- CON – …OF COURSE, Gloria would have the baby on the same day as Manny’s birthday (contrived sitcom plot alert!)
- PRO – Gloria screaming through “Happy Birthday” (Funny screaming)
- PRO – Nolan Gould’s Luke (taping Gloria as her water breaks): “And the birthday video becomes a nature video.”
- CON – Gloria squeezing Jay and Manny’s hands so hard she hurts them (contrived sitcom cliché!)
- CON – The suggestion that Cam abuses their daughter (now in its third iteration – rice, car, pool) is still not funny. Oh wait…make that a fourth iteration as he pushes her off a chair
- CON – Gloria yelling at the baby to get out (Unfunny screaming)
- PRO – Kenny (as his phone rings): “Ugh, it’s my wife…and not the good one.”
- PRO – Hayley running out of the elevator and hugging Phil because he’s freaking out thinking that she’s gone with Kenny. It’s a cute, sweet moment
- CON – Claire – once again – is jealous about Gloria’s skinniness
- PRO – Lily not liking the new addition to the family and Luke’s subsequent offer to counsel her. Funny, appropriate and delivered with a trademark Luke quip
What did you think of the episode: Are you glad that Gloria’s had her baby? Do you think that Claire and Phil’s storyline was relatable? Did Mitch and Cam’s storyline annoy you? Hit the comments on the milestone ep below!
Modern Family airs Wednesdays at 9pm EST on ABC