Forget the cutesy opening remarks: April TV is where it’s at!
Let’s bitch it out…
Holy mother of yes. April TV is good. As usual, let’s begin with our usual TV coverage for the month:
- Sunday: The Good Wife S6 (9pm EST on CBS)
- Monday: The Originals S2 (8pm EST on The CW)
- The Flash S1 (8pm EST on The CW) – Quick Take reviews
- iZombie S1 (9pm EST on The CW) – Quick Take reviews
- Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. S2 (9pm EST on ABC)
- Justified S6 (10pm EST on FX) – Series finale April 14
- Arrow S3 (8pm EST on The CW)
- Broadchurch S2 (10pm EST on BBC America)
- Thursday: Scandal S4 (9pm EST on ABC)
- Bloodline S1 (Netflix)
- Grimm S4 (9pm EST on NBC)
- Saturday: Bitten S2 (9pm EST on SPACE) – Anticipated season finale April 18
Now let’s discuss the new stuff. Hold onto your socks!
- Where did we leave off? Claire (Caitriona Balfe) was outed as a spy by Black Jon (Tobias Menzies) and married Jamie (Sam Heughan) for protection. When an opportunity to reach Craigh Na Dun – and possibly return home to the 1940s – arises, Claire takes it, but instead finds herself captured by Black Jon and carted away to captivity. Cliffhanger!
- Why should you care? The first half of the drama proved to be dizzyingly good. Some aspects may have been a little slow to develop, but the Black Jon and wedding episodes (linked above) clearly demonstrated that showrunner Ron Moore remains on top of his game. Outlander is clearly much more than a historical romance and fans of the novels have barely been able to keep the spoilers to themselves as they eagerly await the next batch of episodes which are said to include some really powerful, notorious and graphic stuff (apparently both sex and violence).
- Who is covering it? cinephilactic will analyze the bodice ripping and gorgeous scenery every Sunday
- Returns: Saturday, April 4 at 9pm EST on STARZ
Game Of Thrones S5
- Where did we leave off? Oh geez! Arya (Maisie Williams) jumped ship across the Narrow Sea, Dany (Emilia Clarke) lost a dragon, Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) killed his father and escaped prison, Sansa (Sophie Turner) is trapped at the Aerie with crazed killed Baelish (Aidan Gillen). And that doesn’t even cover the events at the Wall or most of King’s Landing. Maybe just read the final few reviews? (Penultimate episode here and finale here)
- Why should you care? Honestly if you haven’t jumped on the GoT bandwagon by this point, you’re either living under a rock or you’re not interested in the best that TV has to offer. Game Of Thrones is HBO’s most watched series and every season somehow manages to outdo itself. S4 proved to be a wastershed year and S5 has the potential to be even better, even as the series begins to tackle content that author George RR Martin has yet to publish. Can they pull it off without the safety net? It’s probably safe to assume yes, but won’t it be fun to find out?
- Who is covering it? cinephilactic can’t wait to return to Westeros ASAP
- Returns: Sunday, April 12 at 9pm EST on HBO
Orphan Black S3
- Where did we leave off? In the finale of S2, Helena (Tatiana Maslany, in one of her eighteen roles on the show) was captured and Sara discovered – courtesy of Dr. Marian Bowles (Michelle Forbes) – that there is another set of clones. Twist alert: these ones are boys (played by Ari Millen).
- Why should you care? Depending on your tastes, S2 was either a glorious continuation of the twisted machinations of S1 or it was a bit of a convoluted affair that tried to do too many things in too little time. With villains like Dr. Leekie (Matt Frewer) and Rachel dead and/or sidelined, how will the series adjust to the introduction of a brand new roster of clones? Will the boys take away attention from the girls? Can Millen match Maslany’s amazing performance? We’ve got lots of questions heading into S3.
- Who is covering it? cinephilactic will be hanging with the #CloneClub
- Returns: Saturday, April 18 at 9pm EST on BBC America
That’s it for us. We may also offer some series coverage of the new Netflix/Marvel cross-commissioned property, Daredevil so keep an eye out for that at some point during the month.
What is everyone else watching? Will you watch with us? Sound off below.