You didn’t expect it to be simple did you?
Let’s bitch it out…
Several questions have haunted the S2 flashforwards of HTGAWM and the fall finale, ‘What Did We Do?’ offers up a surprising number of answers, while also leaving a few dangling plot threads for the Winter run. Here’s our list of talking points and lingering questions for you to consider in the comments below:
- Who shot Annalise (Viola Davis)? That would be professional puppy dog Wes (Alfred Enoch) who understandably takes a shot at his mom when she confesses his (ex) girlfriend has been dead the entire season. RIP Rebecca and your stupid white lady cornrows.
- Annalise’s last act meltdown in primarily prompted from her desire to protect Nate (Billy Brown). Nate has proven to be one of the bigger idiots on the show, returning to Annalise time after time, despite the fact that she basically ruins his life each and every time. Of course Nate is no prize: here he once again shows an extreme disregard for his own well-being by mouthing off Sinclair in front of his colleagues at the precinct and later agreeing to come to the mansion to collect the kids after the bodies hit the floor. Has this guy learned nothing?
- Agree or disagree: the sped-up camera works in small doses during regular episodes, but watching events play out in fast forward and rewind, particularly Annalise’s breakdown via 360 degree spinning camera pan, feels egregious. It’s too flashy in its desperation to raise the stakes.
- Who killed Sinclair (Sarah Burns) aka the most awesome vindictive bitch in town? In one of the episode’s few legitimate surprises, Asher (Matt McGorry) is revealed as the offending party. Sinclair really should have known better than to badmouth Asher’s dad while he’s grieving behind the wheel. And just like that, pretty much everyone on the series is now officially a murderer or an accomplice to a murder. The title is so apt!
- Despite Bonnie’s (Liza Weil) hateful rant a few episodes back, when the sh*t hits the fan, she immediately returns to serve as Annalise’s lapdog, delivering bodies, handing over guns and taking Asher’s car for a midnight cleaning. I’d say she’s a pushover, but Bonnie also seems destined for an epic meltdown in the very near future.
- Not much for the Keating four to do for most of the episode, though it’s hardly surprising that Connor (Jack Falahee) and Michaela (Aja Naomi King) are the first to crack when everything starts to go wrong. I’ll admit that I figured Laurel (Karla Souza) for Annalise’s shooter considering she’s become the most Bonnie-like this season and I still maintain that she’ll get her hands dirtier shortly.
- Michaela sends Caleb (Kendrick Sampson) packing after Annalise arrives, sparing him the gory details that follow at the mansion. Does anyone care? Caleb and his sister Catherine (Amy Okuda) are the equivalent of milquetoast clients. So boring!
- Interestingly we see Catherine drugged and abducted by Frank (Charlie Weber), but we don’t see her wake up in the forest so as viewers we’re still a bit more omniscient than the characters in the show’s current timeline. Expect to see this scene and Nate’s pick-up of the desperate law students on the road when the series returns next year.
- Where has Phillip (Jefferson White) been hiding during all of these sordid events? We know that he sought out Catherine at the mansion after their clandestine rendezvous at the motel didn’t work out, so where has he been and how much did he hear? This is the $64 thousand dollar question.
- Is the final scene, showcasing Eve (Famke Janssen) and Annalise presiding over a police questioning of a young Will, really telling us anything new that we didn’t already know? It’s been several episodes since we discovered that Annalise is Will’s mom, so is it a surprise that we learned she faked her own death when he was a child?
- Did all of the answers in ‘What Did We Do?’ make up for what ultimately feels like a more slight and less involving case this season (compared to the “Who killed Sam and Lila?” story line in the first season)?
Your turn: what did you think of the finale? Did it play out the way you expected? Are you disappointed at the identities of the culprits behind Annalise’s shooting and Sinclair’s murder? Sound off below.
How To Get Away With Murder has finished airing for 2015. The show returns in January 2016 on ABC