There’s “history” ala the Revolutionary War, and then there’s history, from like, biblical times. Tonight, we get both.
Let’s bitch it out…Folks around Sleepy Hollow are going bats*%t thanks to a demonic coin that Henry (John Noble) is passing around town. It brings out the darkest thoughts of the person that holds it, causing them to hold up banks and blow up their dad’s flower shop. No Bueno.
Turns out, the coin is part of the 30 pieces of silver Judas received for betraying Jesus. It also turned Benedict Arnold into a traitor during the Revolutionary War (I’ll give you one guess as to who just happened to be on the same mission for George Washington at the time and knows all this…).
Luckily, Lyndie Greenwood’s Jenny gets out of jail (with just community service for a weapons charge, proving it’s all about who you know). She knows a guy (as Jenny always does) that may have details about how to stop the coin’s power. Cue Nick Hawley (Matt Barr), Mercenary with a Heart of Gold™. At first, Nick refuses to help our team if he doesn’t getting paid. But once Jenny starts acting funny (don’t pick up the coin Jenny!), he comes back to Crane (Tom Mison) and Abbie (Nicole Beharie) and offers his help. Consecrated glass will neutralize the coin’s power…let’s go vandalize a church!
Surprisingly, Jenny’s rage does not shift to Abbie while she’s entranced. Instead, she goes after Sakina Jaffrey’s Sheriff Reyes (more on this later) while she is hunting in the woods. A side note: Sheriff Reyes is the WORST. HUNTER. EVER. She doesn’t notice four people fighting with a high-powered rifle 20 feet away?!? I’m worried about this town’s law enforcement capabilities. Luckily our team saves the day (but loses the coin to Hawley in the process).
Speaking of Sherriff Reyes, she’s as enigmatic as ever. We learn A) she has a super quick trigger finger during the bank shooting and B) she is the one that put Abbie and Jenny’s mom in the psych ward where she killed herself after talking about demons. On the other hand, she gives Abbie her mother’s file, and tells Abbie that she made that decision to keep her mom out of jail. I’m on the fence, but let’s just say I wouldn’t be surprised if at the end of the next episode we see Reyes in long robes lighting candles on a pentagram.
- The fact that Abbie doesn’t trust Katrina (Katia Winter) comes to the surface. Unfortunately, not in a “your husband and I are soulmates and go the hell away” type conflict. But Katrina is a witch (and a redhead!), so the fact that she wanted to stay with HH means only one thing to Abbie: she hasn’t given up on Henry and could potentially betray the witnesses.
- Henry’s getting more ballsy with each passing day. He’s just hanging out in police stations and psych wards now in the middle of broad daylight…
- It’s Paul Revere’s picture on the label of every bottle of Sam Adams beer. You learn something new every day…
- That naive deputy at the station needs to get fired. Like, now.
- I love that Ichabod hates Hawley for all their arrogant similarities.
- I like adding Nick Hawley (a recurring character) to the gang. Look forward to seeing more of him and mixing things up. For those of you who get this unsettled feeling everytime actor Matt Barr is on screen though, it’s probably the ol’ PTSD from when he pretended to be Payton’s brother and tried to kill her and Brooke on One Tree Hill (it’s Derek!).
- Crane (on understanding homosexuality): “…also, I watched the finale of Glee.”
- Henry (to Crane): “Your son’s a lawyer, you must be very proud.”
What did you think? Are you excited about the new blood in the cast? Do you think Abbie’s opinion of Katrina will get in the way of her bond with Crane? Sound off below!
Sleepy Hollow airs Mondays at 9pm EST on FOX