Okay, yeah. This is what I’m talking about. Revenge S2 is finally back on track, baby!
Let’s bitch it out..Can we all just agree that this is the most satisfying episode of Revenge in a good, long time? Not only because there is nary a sight of soul-suckers Declan (Connor Paolo) and Charlotte (Christa B. Allen) and barely a glimpse of Padma (Dilshad Vadsaria), but also because it is so ridiculously over-the-top that it takes night time soaps to ridiculous new heights.
Any episode that features Emily (Emily VanCamp) revealing her true identity to bitchy celebrity writer Mason Treadwell (Roger Bart), using him and then sending him up the river for the foreseeable future? Gold, Jerry, gold! The fact that this happens immediately after Faux (Margarita Levieva) nearly brains him with a crowbar in exactly the same way she did to poor Frank (Max Martini) exactly one season ago in 1×07 ‘Charade’? Love it!
Admittedly not everything in this episode works, most specifically Emily’s blackmail encouraging Mason to plead guilty to nearly every crime committed thus far this season in exchange for an exclusive tell-all when she completes her mission of REVENGE! I can’t imagine someone who’s just witnessed what she’s capable of telling themselves “okay, sure, this girl seems reasonable and trustworthy. I’m sure she’ll keep her word and get me out of jail sometime down the line.” Um…no. Even with all the flattery, I don’t imagine anyone would have taken that deal. Plus, how the hell did Emily even get into that interrogation room in the first place?!
Regardless, there’s plenty of fun to be had in the shenanigans including poor Nolan (Gabriel Mann) more or less giving up his company to Daniel (Joshua Bowman) at the behest of Aiden (Barry Sloane) in order to protect Emily. Emotional blackmail: it’s a bitch, folks! Good thing Ems inspires such loyalty from these boys.
It’s also nice to see the boring Grayson Global stuff finally starting to pay off. With the introduction of evil Helen (Wendy Crewman), Initiative envoy to the stars, and Daniel’s hostile take-over of his father behind closed doors, perhaps everyone – Daniel, Conrad, AND even Victoria (Madeleine Stowe) – will soon have more to work with on this front.
- The other water cooler moment is, of course, crazy mama Kara (Jennifer Jason Leigh) going off her meds, getting an ear-full of secret David Clarke info from Mason, and nearly killing the Graysons. Naturally Ems can’t allow that, so it’s up to Aiden to chloroform Kara and, posing once more as FBI Agent Mathis, get her safely out of town. Looks like we’ve seen the last of Mama Revenge for a bit, but I’m sure she’ll be back when it’s useful
- Side Note: Are we to assume that Gordon (James Morrison) taught Kara how to REVENGE! her way through security systems? She took out the clam cam & surveillance cameras in Casa Del Grayson in about two seconds. Pretty unbelievable
- I do find it amusing that Victoria decides to drag the Initiative down to hell with them. We don’t even know what the Initiative wants or who they are! How can she possibly think these actions are possible when she has so little information?
- Anyone care to speculate whether Conrad and Victoria are kindasorta back on? They seem awfully close when their lives are in jeopardy, though I’m sure that’ll inevitably change when Conrad learns Victoria knew he was getting the ouster from the company by Daniel. I hate it when people nearly say something (as Victoria does) and then stop because someone a) insists on speaking first or b) talks over them. In real life, if you try to tell your husband that your adult son is planning on overthrowing him, you make more of an effort to ensure the message gets across
- Ashley (Ashley Madewke) watch: She wears a red dress and insists Conrad takes questions at the Investor luncheon. ZZZZZ. Also, birds may have nestled in the back of her weave because it’s looking a wee bit disheveled in some scenes
- Finally: Ems and Aiden are SO ON! (Aidems?) We better see some of the sexytime that closes the episode because the fade to black mid-passionate kissing is a total tease. Show us more Hamptons James Bond, preferably with less clothing on!
- Emily (to Mason when he prattles on): “Mason, as much as we both enjoy the sound of your voice, why don’t you get to the point?”
- Nolan (peeved that Emily didn’t disclose Aiden’s status as Takeda’s protege): “You could have said ‘Hey Nolan, this one time at revenge camp…'”
- Mason (describing Ems to Faux in book jacket-ready form): “Emily Thorne, sociopathic socialite.”
What are your thoughts on the episode? Do you feel that Revenge is firmly back on track? Do you think Mason would have really taken that deal? What is the Initiative’s plan? And when will Ashley FINALLY do something?! Comment away below.
Revenge airs Sundays at 9pm EST on ABC