It’s the “broken toys” club on this week’s Arrow as Oliver (Stephen Amell) must find a way to fix Roy (Colton Haynes) and Laurel (Katie Cassidy), both of whom are spiraling out of control. The solutions are extreme as the masks come off for both.
Let’s bitch it out…
Lots of twists and turns as Arrow moves into the second half of its second season. It’s an encouraging sign that nearly everyone has something to do (except maybe Willa Holland’s Thea who continues to “act worried” each week). If only the series weren’t so obvious at telegraphing what will happen, some of this might even be a genuine surprise! Let’s break down what’s happening:
Roy: Everyone’s favourite anger ball begins training with the Arrow (Stephen Amell) and – like a true a-hole – he bristles at every point. It’s kinda like a mash-up of every single training sequence you’ve ever seen, except that Roy whines and bails every five seconds. (Side Note: Pai Mei would have plucked out an eyeball for his insubordination). Needless to say Roy effs everything up to the point that Ollie needs to reveal his secret identity just to get the brat to cooperate. Welcome to Team Arrow, Roy…you big dumb jackass!
Bronze Tiger (Michael Jai White): One of Starling’s least memorable villains is broken out of jail to steal a prototype of Malcolm Merlyn’s earthquake machine. It’s all blah blah blah predictable until the end when Amanda Waller, the mysterious character played by Spartacus‘ Cynthia Addai-Robinson, shows up in the final reel. (Side Note: Apparently she appeared in episode 2×06 – I have no recollection of this). It turns out that Waller is recruiting Bronze Tiger for a “Squad ” – one that comic fans will immediately recognize. The rest of us will just have to wait for the reveal. (No spoilers!)
Laurel: The former DA’s lawyer is in free fall as she learns that there’s a disciplinary hearing being scheduled that could get her disbarred. Because of this, girlfriend can’t get a job. Despite attempts by daddy Lance (Paul Blackthorne) and Oliver to get Laurel to acknowledge that she’s a hot mess, it takes a phone call to a present day Sara (Caity Lotz) to inch closer to fixing Laurel. This should be an awkward family reunion. Bring on the sister Canaries!
Moira (Susanna Thompson): After languishing on the sidelines for the better part of the season, Moira finally gets a juicy storyline: run for Mayor opposite Sebastian Blood (an unseen Kevin Alejandro). Now this could be interesting! Unfortunately this also brings about the dreaded “don’t let Thea find out she’s Malcolm’s daughter” bit, but I’ll take it if we get to see more of Moira, Walter (Colin Salmon) and the always evil/always dying Nicholas Lea.
- How long before we see a Spartacus reunion between Manu Bennett and Addai-Robinson? It’s gotta happen right?!
- On the Island, Ollie manages to convince Slade (Bennett) that they should commandeer the freighter, not blow it up. Seems reasonable to me.
- I’m already beyond tired of this whole “I’m responsible for Shado’s death” storyline. Like a lot of storylines, it’s easy to see that when Slade learns “the truth” about her death, he’ll blame Ollie and become the supervillain we’ve already seen in the present day. I really hope that Arrow isn’t as predictable as this, but I doubt it’ll turn out some other way. Le sigh.
- I think I’m most intrigued to see what happens between the Lance sisters. This better not be some “I saw Sara during an alcoholic stupor and she told me to turn my life around, so I did” storylines or I will call BS!
- Finally, in those thigh high boots, I’d vote Moira Queen for Mayor. Daaaaamn.
- Laurel (laying the smackdown on Lance): “I thought I made myself clear. I’m hungry. And I think I’ll eat alone.”
- Emily Bett Rickards’ Felicity (after Oliver confesses Roy needed to “process” the truth about the Arrow’s identity): “When I found out who you were I processed my way through a pint of mint chocolate chip.” Pause. “I stress eat.”
- Felicity (when Roy asks if they call themselves Team Arrow): “I do! Occasionally.”
Your thoughts on the big events of ‘Tremors’? Were you excited to see Bronze Tiger again? Will Roy and Laurel become smaller pains in the ass now? How predictable are the events on the Island? And would you vote Queen for Mayor? Sound off below
Arrow airs Wednesdays at 8pm EST on The CW. Next week the Spartacus love continues as Katrina Law guest stars as a figure from Sara’s assassin past. Check out the promo below.