Welcome to Talk Back, a new regular feature wherein we ask questions to start a discussion about shows we’re not regularly reviewing. First up: the fall finale of How To Get Away With Murder. Spoilers ahead.
Let’s bitch it out…HTGAWM has a been a watercooler show since it premiered earlier this season to huge numbers (and even bigger Live+3/Live+7 numbers). Since its debut, the show has demonstrated a penchant for Scandal-esque high drama, some very frank sexuality (refreshing!) and a number of problematic characterizations / narrative decisions. As the show’s fall run comes to a close, here are some questions we’d like to hear your thoughts on:
- Annalise Keating (Viola Davis): after nine weeks what do we actually know about her? Has Murder given any kind of indication about what makes this woman tick or is the character only working because of Davis’ magnetic performance? Should we realistically just expand this question to every character since it sort of feels like we don’t really know anything about any of them?
- ‘Kill Me, Kill Me, Kill Me’ reveals that Wes (Alfred Enoch) is really Sam’s (Tom Verica) killer. Is this the least interesting reveal that the writers could have gone with? Would you have preferred it was actually Michaela (Aja Naomi King), as originally suggested when Sam went over the bannister?
- How shocking was Annalise and sam’s verbal spat? Have you ever heard anything as despicable as his vile rant about her sexuality?
- The episode ends with the twist that Annalise knew that her husband was dead the whole night. How does this change her dynamic with Wes? Does this make her a mastermind, considering the lengths she went to in order to secure an alibi? Does this twist justify nearly an entire episode comprised of footage we’ve already seen?
- What is going on with Bonnie (Liza Weil) and does anyone care? Some folks seem to believe/want her to be a bisexual who is in love with Annalise. I can honestly say that would make her character at least 50% more interesting. Do you agree?
- Whose excuse is worse: Laurel’s (Karla Souza) suggestion that she’s embarrassed she stole the statue or Connor’s (Jack Falahee) confession that he has a drug problem?
- Does anyone actually care about who killed Lila (Megan West)?
- Is there any chance that Rebecca (Katie Findlay) has feelings for Wes, or is she just using him?
- Finally, did anyone develop any good drinking games during these first nine episodes? We based ours on the recurring footage from the flashforwards, more specifically doing a shot each time the cheerleader does her spin. nOW we can bearly typez….
What are your thoughts on the fall finale? Are you excited to see the fall-out of this latest twist? And which #TGIT show will you miss more: HTGAWM or Scandal?
How To Get Away With Murder has finished airing new episodes for 2014. It returns Thursday, Jan 29 at 10pm EST on ABC.