It’s Charlotte’s (Christa B. Allen) 18th birthday and while changing her last name is an exciting development, the gelling of the pieces of the Initiative puzzle is much more promising.
Let’s bitch it out…I’ve been hot and cold on Revenge‘s second season since its outset, but it feels like things are finally starting to come together. While I’m not sure I’ll ever give a damn about the events taking place at the Stowaway with the Ryan brothers, at least the conflict between the Graysons, the Initiative and our covert REVENGE! team of Emily (Emily VanCamp) and Aiden (Barry Sloane) is finally clicking. It helps that Emily is losing control since the series operates best when her carefully laid plans don’t work out as expected. And now that Emily’s starting to figure out what Helen (Wendy Crewson) and the other operatives of the Initiative are up to, there’s also more direction to help guide us.
We’ve known that the Initiative was interested in both Nollcorp and StoneHaven – programming and disaster relief companies, respectively – though the connection between the two has never been clear. It’s only when Em has a debrief with Nolan (Gabriel Mann) in his gorgeous new place that they put two and two together thanks to Padma’s (Dilshad Vadsaria) less than stellar spy skills and figure out that the missing link is Nolan’s Carrion program. Together the three elements will allow the Initiative to go all Revolution and knock out Manhattan’s power…or something. For what nefarious purpose? Who knows?! All that matters is that some mysterious organization that appears to be fronted by a woman who only rides around in a black limo wants to turn off the lights (whenever she’s not busy doping up random kidnapped girls that is). It’s baaaaad news, you guys. Mmmmkay?
The nonsense over Aiden’s story and his kidnapped sister is still…well…nonsense. Tonight it nearly drives him to assassinate Victoria (Madeleine Stowe) when she’s in Los Angeles guiding Grayson Global rival James Prosser (Dylan Walsh), but Ems pulls Aiden back from the brink. Naturally things don’t go quite according to plan when a follow-up video appears to show the sister overdosing (because videos can’t be doctored…or traced…or forwarded on). It’s all silly, but it generates enough conflict between the two REVENGE-rs that their relationship appears to be officially dunzo. This conveniently clears the road to reconciliation for Ems and Daniel (Joshua Bowman), which is a good thing because our favourite blonde has begun dreaming sexily about her ex-beau. Perfect timing!
- Pity Emily VanCamp for having to fake sexy-time with hottie Sloane and real-life boyfriend Bowman. That is a tough day at the office, folks!
- In my weekly attempt to channel the spirit of Tom & Lorenzo, which wore it best: Emily in her form hugging blue number, Victoria in her black dress or Daniel in his swimsuit and chest hair combo?
- Don’t get me wrong, I love a good ultimatum, but did anyone actually believe that Aiden would kill Victoria? You tried to do this in last season’s finale, Revenge, and we didn’t buy it then. Why would we buy it now? It’s not even sweeps!
- How nice a twist is it that Daniel’s not the complete idiot we thought he was? Turns out that he’s known Emily was part of his mother’s meddling since she re-entered his life. Between this and Nolan figuring out the truth about Padma, maybe the men of Revenge aren’t as stupid as they act
- Oh wait…we still have Jack Porter (Nick Wechsler). Faux (Margarita Levieva) finally convinces him that there’s no shame in not going to prison for crimes you didn’t commit, but it still shouldn’t take this much effort. Listen to your elders, Jack: hold onto this one because she seems like she’s got a real solid head on her shoulders. (But really, could the Porter boys be any dumber?)
- Declan (Connor Paolo) is upset that the Stowaway is partnered up with Conrad Grayson (woh woh), but it looks like the deal won’t last long. You can practically see the dollar signs light up in the Grayson patriarch the minute that Nate Ryan (Michael Trucco) mentions a casino
- Weekly Ashley (Ashley Madewke) update: She’s officially back on the background, working hard: holding clipboards and shutting doors and whatnot. At least she gets in the cattiest comment of her life against Victoria (see below), so that’s gotta count for something, right?
- Conrad (giving Charlotte her present): “Please don’t spend it all in ten places.”
- Victoria (when Ashley enters): “It seems that the cat has dragged itself back in…Conrad, don’t you know that Senators keep their concubines in the closet?” Ashley: “Spoken like someone no one is sleeping with.” Oh no, she didn’t!!!
- Aiden (to Em when she tells him Daniel is taking her to an oyster bar): “Oysters? Subtle”
- Emily (texting Nolan): “Say yes. I’ll buy you a house.” As though he needs her money!
- Em (to Nolan, re: Padma): “My advice? Play her like she’s playing you” So cement shoes aren’t an option?
Revenge is taking a three week break. It returns Sunday, February 10 at 9pm EST on ABC and apparently we’re going to revisit the sinking of the Amanda – you know…that storyline that was teased back in the premiere and then NEVER addressed again?